Candle Care


We cannot stress enough how important it is to keep the wicks trimmed on our candles (as well as any others you buy). This reduces soot and doesn't cause the flame to flicker wildly, and extends the life of the candle. 

  • Do not burn candles unattended.
  • Burn on a flat heat-resistant surface and away from flammable items.
  • Keep children and pets away from burning candle.
  • Do not touch hot, liquid wax.
  • Keep wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches or other debris
  • Limit the burn time of your candle to 4-6 hrs maximum to prevent the glass from overheating.
  • Do not light the candle when less than 1/4" of wax remains.

Our candles are designed to scent an average sized room, if the area where it is at is very large and open the fragrance may not be very strong.

We fragrance our candles with the maximum recommended amount of fragrance oils suggested by the manufacturer. Some fragrances are simply stronger than others. If you feel the scent is too light, the room might be too large for our size candle. Try putting it in a smaller room or by add'l candles. 

 Sometimes, you get used to the scent and no longer smell it as strongly. Just step outside for a bit, take a few deep breaths of fresh air and go back into the room where the candle is - chances are you will be able to smell it again.

 Our melts, travel tins and container candles are made from natural soy wax – our soy wax is produced from the oil derived from soy beans and is guaranteed to contain no animal products, paraffin, petroleum or beeswax. Our soy wax is fully biodegradable and contains no pesticides or herbicides.

Soy wax typically last longer than paraffin wax. The reason behind the longevity of soy wax is the slower burning time and cooler burning temperature of the soybean-based wax. Because they burn more slowly, the scent is gradually released; there won't be an immediate wave of strong scent. This creates a more pleasant atmosphere for most people.

As our melts, travel tins, and container candles are made from a pure, all-natural soy wax (no blend with paraffin etc.) - white marks (called "frosting" or "blooming) may appear. Frosting is a particular crystal growth of vegetable oil due to soy wax polymorphism. It will cause the wax to look dry, which is simply a characteristic of that crystal structure.

Frosting does not affect the scent throw or the burning properties of the wax. You can safely burn or melt with a bloom without worry. To minimize frosting, try to keep your soy wax products out of direct sunlight and fluorescent lighting. Even changes in the weather can cause additional frosting.

Because our products are handmade and hand-poured in small batches to ensure an amazing wax burning experience, color and appearance may vary slightly between batches.

Our freestanding or decorative candles are made with a soy wax blend. This blend is what gives structure integrity to our candles. The issue by using all -natural soy wax for freestanding candles are generally they are too brittle and don't burn well due to high hydrogenation. Blends have more "structure" and are not as brittle. We use a soy votive/pillar wax blend for our freestanding candles. Usually, it is made up of mostly soy wax with some vegetable oils added to it.

Wax Melts and Tarts:

INSTRUCTION: Remove packaging before use. Put a required amount of wax melt to the top of an electric or tea light tart melter/oil burner to melt. Do NOT add water. Do NOT melt on stove top or in non-approved appliances. Do NOT leave burner unattended while in use. Keep out of reach of children and pets.

 Wood Wick Candles:

Simple instructions are given on the label of each candle, but here is the full list of tips and tricks to get the most out of your beautiful candle:

Wooden wicks light slower than cotton wicks. It is comparable to lighting a fireplace. Hold your lighter (we use a barbecue lighter) close to the wick for 20 or more seconds to fully light the wick.Wooden wicks are generally self-trimming, but if the excess burnt wood is longer than 1/4", break off the extra burnt wood before you light it.If you have burned the candle awhile and the flame is very low, you may need to remove the extra burnt wood at the top of the wick.Burn candles in a well-ventilated non-drafty room. A draft might blow out the candle prematurely or keep it from staying lit.

 Recycle your jar candles:

Here are instructions for how you can remove the wax from your container - one for containers with no metal and one for with metal.  Please read both just in case your container has metal that you mightn’t notice!

These instructions work best when you have used your candle to as far down as it will burn (i.e. 1/2 inch from the end of the wick).

With metal:

This includes the candle tins, but also any glass or china piece that has any metal (gold or silver or copper) filigree.  If there is any shiny metallic paint on your vessel, than you must follow these instructions, not the instructions below.  

  1. When the candle is cooled / solid, break off the burned part of your wick either with your fingers or some nail clippers.

  2. Place your container in your freezer overnight.  The longer you leave it in, the easier it is to remove the wax.

  3. Take your container out of the freezer and try to pop the wax out.  If it’s causing a struggle (especially if you haven’t burned your candle down to the bottom), then you may need to freeze it for another day or so.

  4. Take your container out of the freezer and place it upside down.  Gently tap it against the surface it’s on (kitchen counter, table, etc), giving it a little shake now and again.  If the remaining wax still doesn’t dislodge, you may need to help it along with a knife or something pointy. It’s also not unheard of to have to break the wax a bit and take it out in chunks.  Your vessel may have a wick sticker (though not all do), so do your best to scrape that off. 

  5. Once the container has reached room temperature, preheat the oven or toaster oven to 175º F (80º C), put some baking paper on a tray and place the vessel upside down on it.  Put the tray into the oven for 5 minutes (2 if it's a metal tin) and, using a mitten or heat proof cloth, check to see if the wax has melted.  If not, replace the tray into the oven for another 5 minutes.  (If you can’t fit the container in the oven, then an abrasive sponge that you can live without afterwards and some hot soapy water can do the trick too!)

  6. Once the wax has melted out of the vessel, try to wipe out the sides of the container when it has cooled a little but is still warm.  After that, just some warm soapy water or the dishwasher! (NOTE: If you wash out the metal tins, be sure to dry them immediately or they may rust)

Without metal:

  1. Follow the above instructions until it is time to use the oven.

  2. Place your vessel upside down on some paper towel and place it in the microwave.

  3. At 100w, microwave your container for 10 seconds at a time until the wax has melted out of the vessel.

  4. Once the wax has melted out of the vessel, try to wipe out the sides of the container when it has cooled a little but is still warm.  After that, just some warm soapy water or the dishwasher!

Color Disclosure: 

Actual colors may vary. This is due to the fact that every computer monitor has a different capability to display colors and that everyone sees these colors differently. We try to edit our photos to show the samples as life-like as possible, but please understand the actual color may vary slightly from your monitor. We cannot guarantee that the color you see accurately portrays the true color of the product.

Disclaimer - *Product names, brands, and other trademarks or trade names featured or referred by Tammy's Handcrafted Candles for all Occasions, LLC are the property of their respective holders. Those holders are not affiliated with Tammy's Handcrafted Candles for all Occasions, our representatives, our products, our literature or our website; nor do they sponsor or endorse our products. Tammy's Handcrafted Candles for all Occasions reference to those trademarks or trade names in no way indicates any relationship between Tammy's Handcrafted Candles for all Occasions and the holders and is used for descriptive purposes only. Every effort has been made to properly identify and attribute trademarks or trade names to their respective owners wherever possible and/or practical.